New York City Sidewalk Injury Lawyers
If you were injured after falling on a sidewalk outside of a building, it may not be immediately clear who is liable. Property owners can be held responsible for defective sidewalk accidents in front of a building, other than a one- or two-family home. City governments can be held liable for defects at tree wells, curbs, and on sidewalks in front of one- or two-family homes.
Trip-and-Fall Accident? Our NYC Attorneys Can Help You Back on Your Feet
Our New York City sidewalk injury attorneys at Weisfuse & Weisfuse, LLP know the laws concerning trip-and-fall accidents on public and private properties. We have more than 40 years of experience helping our clients recover damages related defective sidewalks and other dangerous conditions in public places. Put our law firm’s experience, legal resources, and compassionate approach to work for you. Contact our New York City law firm online or call 212-983-3000 for a free initial consultation.
NYC Sidewalk Accident Claims Are Complicated
Filing a lawsuit against the city government requires preparation and an intimate knowledge of the law. At Weisfuse & Weisfuse, LLP, we strongly advise anyone considering a sidewalk trip-and-fall claim to seek the counsel of an experienced Manhattan sidewalk injury attorney highly aware of the complications involved:
- Strict deadlines must be followed: A notice of claim against the city government must be served to the city government within 90 days of the sidewalk accident. This notice must specify the date, time and place of the accident as well as the injuries claimed.
- Statute of limitations: A lawsuit against the city government must be commenced within one year and 90 days after the accident. Claims against other municipalities have similar requirements. In order to prove the city government was negligent, the government must have received prior written notice of the defect within a sufficient amount of time to have corrected it.
- The government can conduct an investigation: Although not required, it is a good practice to attach a photograph of the defective condition to the notice of claim. After the notice of claim is served, the city government has the right to conduct a hearing and obtain the testimony of the claimant.
- City maps can pinpoint defects: Maps are on file with the city government which identify defects on the sidewalk. These maps are available and must be reviewed to determine whether the city government had prior written notice.
Contact Our Manhattan Sidewalk Trip and Fall Attorneys for a Free Consultation
The experienced lawyers of Weisfuse & Weisfuse, LLP are serious about helping clients recover the compensation they are entitled for injuries caused by negligent municipalities. If you or a loved one is facing medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering and other hardships due to a fall or other sidewalk injury, we invite you to contact us online or call 212-983-3000 for a free consultation.
Free Case Evaluation
- Defective Products
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- VA Hospital Accidents
- Municipal & Other Government Lawsuits
- Personal Injury
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Accidents
- Government Vehicle Injuries
- Highway Accidents
- Sports Injuries
- Truck and Bus Accidents
- Premises Liability
- School & Daycare Liability Accidents
- The World Trade Center Health Program
- What is the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund?