What Illnesses Are Eligible For Compensation Under The VCF?
Are You Living With A Disease Contracted As A Result Of Exposure To Debris On 9/11?
Acute Traumatic Injury – there must be medical documentation contemporaneous with the injury.
- Chronic respiratory disorder due to fumes/vapors
- Lung diseases – including but not limited to: asbestosis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, sarcoidosis, eosinophilic granuloma, bronchiolitis obliterans, pneumoconioses and certain systemic autoimmune diseases such as the connective tissue diseases (CTD), and small vessel vasculitides.
- Reactive airways dysfunction syndrome (RADS)
- Sleep apnea exacerbated by or related to another condition in the list of aerodigestive disorders
- Upper airway hyperreactivity
- WTC-exacerbated chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- New onset chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – including emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and refractory asthma
- Childhood cancer: any type of cancer diagnosed in a person less than 20 years of age.
- Malignant neoplasms: Blood and Lymphoid tissue, digestive system, eye and orbit, female breast, female reproductive organs, head and neck, respiratory system, skin (melanoma/non-melanoma, thyroid, soft tissue, urinary system
- Prostate cancer
- Rare cancers: any type of cancer that occurs in less than 15 people per 100,000 persons per year in the United States. Including but not limited to bone, gallbladder, pancreas, and others.
How Much Time Do I Have To File?
All claims registered with the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund by July 29, 2021 are considered timely, regardless of the date of diagnosis. If you do not register by July 29, 2021, you may still register so long as it is within two years from the date of certification by the World Trade Center Health Program or two years from the date of death for death claims. Please note that registering in a timely fashion does not ensure compensation. You must be declared eligible based on the extent of your exposure and date of diagnosis (See ‘Cancer and the Latency Period’).
If you were present in one of the disaster areas you should register with the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund even if you have not been diagnosed with a 9/11-related illness. Registration simply notifies the VCF that you are a potential claimant and preserves your right to file a claim in the future should you become ill.
Free Case Evaluation
- Defective Products
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- VA Hospital Accidents
- Municipal & Other Government Lawsuits
- Personal Injury
- Car Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Crane Accidents
- Government Vehicle Injuries
- Highway Accidents
- Sports Injuries
- Truck and Bus Accidents
- Premises Liability
- School & Daycare Liability Accidents
- The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund